Saturday, November 21, 2009

Hello Kitty Art Exhibition


A few weeks ago, I visited an art exhibit at the Royal/T Restaurant in Culver City showcasing works by many different artists and designers. This exhibit was dedicated to celebrating the 35th anniversary of Hello Kitty. The particular day I went had live painting by 2 contemporary artists - Camilla d'Errico and Buff Monster. I thought it was interesting how they blended their own style and made Hello Kitty a modern subject in their pieces.

I also got to check out the exhibit - there were pieces done by many different artists such as Crowded Teeth, Dan Goodsell, and Jason Mecier. I was actually exposed to a lot more contemporary art by going to this exhibit. I got to see how artists used something as simple as Hello Kitty as inspiration for pieces done in their own style. Everything from sculpture to paintings to clothes were designed with Hello Kitty in mind. This made me relate back to our design projects this semester and how we had to design something with constraints in mind. I felt that most of the pieces exhibited managed to produce something modern and exciting while still remaining in those constraints. I really enjoyed the exhibit because it combined two of my favorite things - Hello Kitty and art.

No comments:

Post a Comment