Saturday, October 16, 2010

Fieldtrip




1. The theme of the Biennial is "action and reaction." There was an underlining theme of sustainability and recycling throughout many of the pieces as well. These works commented and responded to current events such as recycling, waste, high costs, and quality over quantity. I think this theme is very relevant to today's society. Many things are wasted even though they can be reused by another person.

2. Yes, the theme is expressed through the objects. For example one designer's work used beetle wings and feathers to make purses. They are high quality and are built to last. They use natural products and are completely hand made. Thus the artist is using natural/recyclable goods to create her work and is aiding in saving the planet.

3. I thought the clothes made out of fabric found at a thrift store captured the theme very well. These clothes are extremely well made as well as environmental friendly since they are made from tossed clothing. I especially loved the sweater made from an old sweater. I liked how the designer kept the collar on, but had it on the torso instead of the neck. These clothes are top quality and very fashionable even if they had previous use.

I also thought the freeway advertisements made out of plants was interesting. These ads captured the essence of "action and reaction" and sustainability. They are eco-friendly and they beautify the freeways. They don't use the vinyl that the usual freeway billboard use and thus save the vinyl from being tossed later. I think the simple designs are just as efficient at capturing the viewer's attention and maybe even more since they are so unusual. : )

4.I found the design that used the airplane wing and tail as a roof for a building was very interesting. It gives the building a space-age futurist-look. I like the idea that the artist was trying to save old plane parts that could no longer be used. I do find it regrettable that the artist could not continue to reuse these parts because of expense.

I also found the felt-covered chairs by Tanya Aquiniga very interesting. No one likes to sit in metal folding chairs, but the artist made these chairs appear warm, comfortable, and inviting. People would probably want to sit on a folding chair it is was covered in cloth and was colorful!


5. I didn't like the presentation of the gothic clothing made out of crystal (was it crystal?). I found the posters very boring. One couldn't see all views of the outfit as well. The spike-like pieces blocked out everything and one couldn't tell how it was layered without really studying each drawing. I think the design would had been more efficient if the designer would had made the posters more like a character design spread sheet so the viewer could see all views and angles of the costume as well as some zoomed in details of smaller pieces of the outfit.

6. I liked the exhibition. It was interesting for me to see since I don't usually look at design artpieces. I usually go to museums to look at sculptures and paintings. But I really liked how each piece made you reflect on your own life and what you are doing to respond to the same current events.

No comments:

Post a Comment