Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Peep Totter Fly


I saw this video a few weeks ago, and it seemed cool too.


This is Peep Totter Fly by Cheri Gaulke at LACE (from last year though).


I loved the concept: A wall set up like that of a shoe showroom with only one pair of shoes on every stand. It got better as the line of models mechanically started wearing them and even better, started sauntering along Hollywood Blvd in them.

By this time, I had many ideas, about stuff like gender norms being challenged with the inclusion of males in a largely female performance that includes red high heels, and when I saw the guy barely managing to walk straight I thought about men in women’s shoes – literally and metaphorically – would they feel pain? Would they feel pretty? I thought some would feel pain and some might feel pretty and some might feel the same. It also struck me that it could be a high heel survival marathon.

I wasn’t so keen about the part when the audience started trying on shoes. I am not sure why, but maybe it was because the interaction, I felt, was on a rather superficial level, and had been done before in the same way too many times.

I liked the colours; the white walls and white clothes seemed to accentuate the red of the heels well. I also liked the shots of the heels on the Walk of Fame. And I loved it when people asked “What’s this for?”

No comments:

Post a Comment