Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Art Deco in Fashion




























































































My theme for project 2 was Art Deco in fashion. I am really interested in the female figure and how it was portrayed through the style of Art Deco. It entails an elegant, glamourous, functional, and modern style. Often the figures are very elongated and focus attention on the curves of the body through elongated lines and a sense of fluid movement. In addition many pieces were based on geometrical shapes. I wanted to explore the ways in which I could further modernize the techniques of many Art Deco/fashion artists. My inspiration came from artists such as Aubrey Beardsley and some old vintage magazine covers. The first of the four pieces represents emphasis in economy. The implied lines paired with the simplicity of the image really captures the viewers eyes to one single focal point. The second piece demonstrates repetition. I chose the cheetah pattern because it is a very popular print today. Again I used the technique of implied lines. I felt the interesting shapes of the cheetah spots were both harmonious but maintained variety. The third piece represents movement although it was very hard to decipher during the class critique. I constructed her hair as very wavy/curly like it was almost blowing. Also the repeated interchanging black and white lines in the background was meant to engage the viewers eyes to follow the rising and falling pattern. Or even imagine the them moving to fill the entire background. The last work of the four represents balance. Although the large black space on the left seems to offset the entire frame, I tried to use the repeated dots to balance the left side. Furthermore, I placed the woman off center to the left in order the give more room to create more dots while leaving less room to the black space. Overall I could not be more pleased with my work. The amount of time and effort placed into the process was never-ending. However, I could have probably tried to represent movement and balance a little clearer.

1 comment:

  1. this is awesome! i love fashion, so i guess i'm naturally drawn to these pieces. where did you find the images? or did you create them yourself?

    ReplyDelete