Saturday, October 3, 2009

4 Principles

My theme for this assignment was Vanity.

1. Movement- for this principle, I decided to have the main focal point be highlighted by the "movement" in the piece. By having the vortex-like waves surrounding the lips/needle point, the focal point is brought to attention. This, like the emphasis & economy piece, are imaes of lips being injected with botox.
2. Repetition- for this piece, i looked into all 3 methods of inspiration- the figure was inspired by both Hokusai and Beardsley and the repetition of dots was inspired by pop art style.
3. Emphasis & Economy- this is my favorite piece. again, like the movement piece it is an image of lips being injected with some sort of botox with what could be the liquid or blood dripping down. obviously, these images are more of a critique of vanity than a commendation of it.
4. Balance- for balance, i though it would be interesting to have the figure, which should be the focal point, displaced to the corner right side of the piece so that it is balanced by the clouds of smoke billowing to the left side.


I took inspiration from two different artists- Aubrey Beardsley, as well as Hokusai. I also took inspiration from several pop art styles. From Beardsley, I really liked the narrative-esque feel of his pieces, showcasing a darker, almost grim take on people/human figures. I also looked at Hokusai's Great Wave off Kanagawa piece in particular when looking for examples/inspiration for movement. As for the pop art inspiration, I've always been intrigued by this particular style, so I tried incorporating some into a few of the pieces- with the repetitive dots and the pop-art style lips.

No comments:

Post a Comment