Monday, September 14, 2009

SImple Hearts Response

I agree with Dave Hickey in his “Simple Hearts” article right in the beginning as he wonders whether works that create no constituencies should be considered art at all.  I believe that in order for art to be art, it must stir some kind of emotion in the onlookers, not solely the artist him or herself.  I agree to an extent that talk also bolsters the meaning of art.  I do not however believe that talk and writing plays as big of a role in art as Hickey stresses in the article.  I think art is more about feelings within, not extensive explanations and analysis.  When critics go too in depth about a piece of artwork, picking apart every minute detail, and explaining the meaning behind every stroke, it takes away from its overall beauty.  I think something is art, when it can evoke conversation, inspiration and emotion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment