Monday, November 30, 2009

Poster Project

For this project we needed to create a poster on a given topic using a specific design style. My topic was travel, and my design style was Art Deco. Art Deco was most prominent in the 1920s and 1930s and this style often involves geometric shapes and lines, contrasting, vibrant colors, strong light source and simplified objects. I picked the city of London as my travel destination because I feel that this is the city that I have a lot of knowledge of. I love this place and I have had so many memories about this wonderful city so I feel that I could make an interesting, unconventional travel poster for this city.

After 50 initial sketches, I selected 10 that I felt most strong about. These sketches included themes such as London underground music scenes (punk, mod), umbrellas, London's iconic figures (John Lennon, Twiggy etc) and finally I did a poster of a royal guard riding on a Vespa scooter which is a mod symbol. I wanted to play with the idea of high and low culture in London because it is famous for both. Therefore I juxtapose the high royal culture with the street subculture. I felt that I gave an interesting twist to the otherwise cliche images and the idea suggests that anyone could be free and have fun in this city. Style-wise, I used very vibrant, contrasting colors such as blue, red and orange which are often found in Art Deco designs. I also added a light source coming out from a Mod symbol at the background. I also simplified the figure and the scooter to make it feel more Art Deco.

No comments:

Post a Comment