Sunday, November 29, 2009

Poster Project

For my poster project, I created a poster advertising The Great Reno Balloon Race that takes place in Reno, Nevada. I was assigned the general topic of Sports and the style of Art Deco. I was inspired to make the poster long and narrow to emphasize the element of height in a balloon race, and I also added mountains in the scene to make the balloon appear as flying high up into the air. After critiques and feedback from others, I realized that this simple cropping decision for my poster was actually one of its major strengths. I went through many typefaces and felt that since the poster was supposed to evoke simplicity and beauty, it would be best to choose the Broadway font. I thought it really represented the Art Deco style well. The major issue with this poster that I could have fixed easily would be, perhaps, the balloon's coloring. I spent a great deal of time trying to make the mountains look realistic and underestimated the balloon's importance. If I emphasized its highlights and shadows more, the balloon would not look as out of place as it does. Overall, I was reasonably satisfied with this poster because I spent a lot of time debating its different elements and its composition until I made well-thought out choices about the poster.

No comments:

Post a Comment