Monday, March 1, 2010

beautiful losers

Totally forgot to post this sooner... here's my extra credit:

The event started late because it was raining that day so Aaron Rose was running a little behind so I didn't get to see the end of the movie. The 40 minutes or so that I stayed for were fun to watch but my only problem with it was that it really glorified the 'rockstar' artist life. They are self titled losers but I don't know that I would call them that really-- they are different from the main stream culture, for sure, but by no means are they losers, and the movie makes them out to be super cool... I guess it's all in how they felt. They also seemed to me to be stuck in high school mode- a lot of the stuff they said related to their experiences back in the day. Part of it is that they kept their child-like sensibility that definitely adds to their work. Part of it annoyed me though. I can't quite put a finger on why. Anyways, I thought it was a good film and a lot of those guys are really funny. It was interesting to put a face to the artists and hear what they were about and stuff. Mike Mills was the silliest, I thought, even though he was wearing a suit in a lot of the interviews.
-deb

No comments:

Post a Comment