Monday, March 8, 2010

I liked this so much, I almost forgot I went for extra credit.


Thankfully, I went into the screening of Beautiful Losers with completely indifferent expectations so when I had that OMG I CAN TOTS RELATE TO THIS moment it was even more legitimate. I know several people have written on this already so I’ll keep the summarizing to a minimum. Artist, writer, curator and director Aaron Rose set out to make a documentary that was meant to inspire people to “make cool stuff” and to encourage their friends to do the same. The documentary was humorous, genuine, modest and interesting. I loved how the film explored the backgrounds of the artists in attempts to answer the question “Why do you make art?”…a daunting but ever-interesting question. For me, I came to USC without any intention of becoming an art major, but still wanted to take classes because I’ve always loved making things. I didn’t want to pursue art because I always thought in order to be successful nowadays in the art world you basically had to be a crazy person with some insane agenda. However, the film reaffirmed my current belief: if you have an innate desire to make art, than you are an artist. Art should be about making cool stuff because you want to and it feels like something you should be doing. I’ll figure out some way to make money (hence my business minor ew) but for now I feel pretty confident that being an art major isn’t completelyyy impractical because making art is never a waste of time. J

No comments:

Post a Comment