Monday, March 8, 2010

A Little Bit Melancholy...



I suppose with Alice in Wonderland opening last Friday, I have Tim Burton on the brain... and when I was in a history class just now, his illustrated book "the Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy and other stories" presented itself front and center. My suitemate (props to keemy if you ever read this) introduced this book to me.. and its kindof just the best example of Burton's twisted, black humor. The poems are depressing, yet simple and quirky. After reading it, I felt a sense of sadness, but at the same time... lightness? I don't know how to describe it really, but I thought I'd post about it because its an excellent piece of art that encompasses drawing, design and writing.. that doesn't require super special effects or mega-complicated stuff. If you've got an hour to kill, its a good read.

Here's one of the poems: 'Stick Boy and Match Girl in Love'

Stick Boy liked Match Girl,
He liked her a lot.
He liked her cute figure,
he thought she was hot.

But could a flame ever burn
for a match and a stick?
It did quite literally;
he burned up quick.



You can read it online!!! --> http://homepage.eircom.net/~sebulbac/burton/home.html

cheers,
Irene

1 comment: