Monday, March 22, 2010

MOCA Pacific Design Center









Over the break I decided to go to the Pacific Design Center (MOCA) because I always passed by it and I thought it looked really cool. I especially liked the exterior--there's three buildings: red, blue, and green. I spent most of my time in the blue building where most of the exhibitions were. Most of the rooms were filled with high-priced furniture, but I did get to see some cool stuff.

I was especially intrigued by the Piet Mondrian-inspired abstract sculptures made out of construction paper and black painted wood. They were around twice my height and reminded me of the color assignment we were doing. I feel like this artist also used the simple concept of emphasis/economy and balance very well even though his pieces were very simple. I really liked how he used the mirror (the picture with the smaller squares and my friend in the black room) There was also a little girl accompanied by her parents walking through the empty spaces of the sculptures, which was really cute.

The picture with the words were actually x-actoed off a photograph. I laughed and half-cringed imagining how hard it would be to carefully trace out all the letters one by one.

And of course the chair--it was made by melted plastic, just appealed to me how creative people can be.

It was a fun visit: there's going to be more exhibitions starting on March 25 called "Design Loves Art"...I'm hoping it's really related to the connection between design and art. I also got to stop by the USC Roksi School of Arts room (a few students were there setting up, but let me look around).

-Joyce Pak

No comments:

Post a Comment