Friday, September 16, 2011

Charles and Ray Eames...and Geology 125.

I was sitting in my Geology class the other day when my professor asked, "Have any of you ever heard of Charles and Ray Eames?" This of course caught my ear, and I couldn't help but think, he can't possibly be talking about the designers, can he?

Well, it turns out he was! (I mean, what're the odds of there being two pairs of Charles and Ray Eamses in the world?) We're currently learning about the structure and composition of the universe, and it turns out the Eames Office created a famous film in 1977 entitled "Powers of Ten," which takes viewers through the relative scale of our universe by you guessed it - powers of ten.




It reminded me of the Michael Bierut reading, which talked about how "not everything is design. But design is about everything." In this case, design was about everything from the nucleus of a carbon atom to the furthest reaches of the universe, billions of light-years away from our own galaxy.

Wrap your mind around that, space cadets.

All my love x 1010,
Nikki D.

No comments:

Post a Comment