Tuesday, September 11, 2012

So... Hi, all.

This is Luke Jacobson, getting a late start here. On the Blog.

Well, let's get to it. I'm a Junior, majoring in Animation. I've taken a couple of drawing classes before this, but I thought a design class would be a nice way to round out my education. I'm not particularly interested in any specific type of animation (though my heart beats most fondly for Stop-Motion), so I'm currently trying all types to see where I fit in. I'm also dappling in some critical studies classes, an acting class or two (or just one, off to the side), and maybe, maybe I'll try out writing. But I'm not sure yet.

I don't have much of an artistic background, so there's not a lot I can share on that level without speaking out of my ass at least once. However, what I can say is that I love to try and caricature people, and I've been getting better at it. For example, I did a few of my old high-school friends awhile back:

See? That's mostly what I do: Really sketchy, not too detailed or finalized, very monochromatic, very cartoony. Perfect for animation, I think, but not especially artsy. Maybe I'll pick up a few helpful tips along the way.
Fittingly, I find that it's also very reminiscent of Bill Peet, a Disney storyboard artist and a great inspiration of mine growing up:


And if this is going to lead into inspirations, well, not all of them have the same style as Bill Peet, but a lot of them come from the people I used to read or watch on the TV when I was 12: Gendy Tartakovsky, Bruce Timm, Herge, and Janry (of "Tome et Janry"), among others. Most of my current inspirations are no better, being concept artists, manga artists, or Deviantart fan-artists. What they all share is expressiveness when it comes to drawing characters and/or a very slick/bold/distinct style. Looking at all this, it's clear I'll be needing some straight-up, classical artsy-fartsy inspirations, and quickly (maybe I can go into Jan Lenica. He seems to be right up my alley...)
But, until then, enjoy my favorite Janry drawing. Admire the amazing expressions he can create with a few ink lines (especially in the hands), and the sick sense of humor he has!


No comments:

Post a Comment