Thursday, January 31, 2013

Good Design (best square)


            In my opinion, good design is typically a combination of different qualities. As we have mentioned in class, these qualities or elements can be anything from function to aesthetic appeal. The best square that exemplified good design can be seen in the picture below. I feel as though this qualifies as a “good” or successful design because the unique shapes draw in my curiosity and attention. It makes me think that I’m only getting a small taste of something larger (perhaps a close up of an animal’s skin), and in doing so, the sketch leaves it up to my imagination. Having said that, I believe that this design is ambiguous as it gives power to the spectator to determine what it is and what it means for him/her.  In a sense, the spectator is challenged to think of what these shapes make up or what they could possibly mean. Overall, I think good design invokes either an emotional, social, or psychological response in people, but this is largely based on what viewers bring (their experiences and so forth) when they observe the piece; that is, successful design is negotiable in that as design, our sensibilities, and tastes/preferences change, so do our relationships with it (to creativity/art/style). In short, good design, for me is something that stands out uniquely and is able to communicate something that one can appreciate (and I believe that the square that I have chosen, does just that). 


No comments:

Post a Comment