Friday, September 13, 2013

My Favorite Designer

Despite the fact that I titled this post "My Favorite Designer," I am not familiar with enough designers to really have a favorite. However, there are two artists whose designs I really enjoy. I am excited to share their work with you guys! 

First is Oskar Fischinger, who was born in Germany but lived much of his life in the U.S. He was an abstract animator and painter who tried to visualize music through his colorful abstract designs and animations. 

Here is a still from one of his animations, Kreise. 


Image from the film Kreise by Oskar Fischinger


And here is one of Fischinger's paintings: 

Pulling Whirl, 1964
 Oil on Canvas, 20 x 16


I think I enjoy Fischinger's designs because of the rhythm that he is able to create through repetition of similar forms. I also think he creates a compelling balance between harmony and variety, and I like his use of asymmetry. 

Here is a link to a website devoted to Oskar Fischinger: http://www.centerforvisualmusic.org/Fischinger/



The next artist I'd like to share on this blog is Peter Callesen. Peter Callesen is a Danish artist. He uses paper to create intricate sculptures, and all his works are made from one sheet of paper.

Here are two works by Callesen: 

Distant Wish, 2006 
Acid-free A4 115 gsm paper and glue


Looking back, 2006  
Acid free A4 115 gsm paper and glue

What I enjoy the most in the Callesen pieces is the importance of negative space, the craftsmanship, and the juxtaposition of the everyday material of flat paper with the intricacy of his sculptures. 

Here is a link to Callesen's website: http://www.petercallesen.com/home/


Cheerio!
Susi Lopera 

No comments:

Post a Comment