Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Simon Doonan


I genuinely enjoyed Simon Doonan, as I’ve seen his work before. He started in the department store industry where he eventually began designing window displays in unconventional ways. Fantasy-like, gory, busy and often disturbing, I personally really appreciate his work. I love his touch of humor in many of the examples that were shown in the backdrop during the event. Although however outlandish his displays were, they did exactly what they needed to do—capture attention.
 Doonan also discussed the fashion world, and unsurprisingly he mentioned that he thinks even fashion is subjective, and so it was not in his place to dress people. As a result, he has little to no critique on outfits and style. Personally I appreciate his stance, as I feel strongly about make-up in the same manner. However, I do also think that there can be a standard of fashion, and not to mention, often people have the desire to be trendy but simply cannot. In addition, there is often a limit to one’s style, even if one doesn’t intend it. I don’t see an issue with helping certain people with fashion, and I think that by sharing one’s taste, one can share his or her style. It’s a celebration of different tastes.
 Overall, Doonan was an eccentric personality with great messages to share. I'm a fan.





No comments:

Post a Comment