Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Project 2: RODCHENKO/ROBOTS

The artist I was looking to for inspiration was Alexander Rodchenko. More than his photography, I was interested in his propaganda poster work. A lot of my work in my other studio classes has been/is about the future and his work looks very science fictional to me. Going with my interest in science fiction, I decided to chose robots as my theme.

Emphasis/Economy:
Of the four pieces I made, this was the one I had the hardest time with. I'm not super happy with it and I think I could have pushed the design more. Originally, I was going to use the composition for movement but since it was pretty static, I thought emphasis and economy would work better for it. I think I should have added more detail to the face so the eye had a place to rest after being pointed toward looking at the face by all the lines.






Movement:
This piece is my favorite of the four. I liked the angle at which the robot girl was drawn. Though I was hesitant to divide the background of the image diagonally, in the end I was glad that I did. I think the image would have been a little less interesting if the background was all one solid color.








Repetition:
With this piece, I didn't want the repetition to just be a bunch of pattern. I wanted the repetition to be in the content of the design. The image to copied my original thumbnail design from was a bunch of robotic ball-looking objects. I'm glad I made one of the four pieces not have an anthropomorphic figure in it. I think it breaks up the flow of the group a little bit, but in a good way. I think the group would have been less interesting if all four pieces had female looking robot-mannequins in them.





Balance:
This design was originally supposed to be my repetition design but Sherin and I decided that the balance in the image was more interesting than the repetition. Someone mentioned during the critique that the figure recedes back into the design a bit but that was intentional. I thought it would have been less interesting if the figure popped forward. For me, I think it was about doing some unexpected. I thought that people would expect a design that pops but I wanted a design that didn't.

1 comment:

  1. You might be interested that a DVD film I produced and directed "Alexander Rodchenko and the Russian Avant-garde" has been released. Filmed in Moscow and using archive footage and an actor the film explores Rodchenko's work and development as an artist and photographer. See www.copernicusfilms.narod.ru Other films from the series "The Russian Avant-garde - Renaissance or Revolution are also available.

    ReplyDelete