Friday, November 15, 2013

Group Project

For our group self-promotion project, my group made leave-behind postcards.

We realized that the initials of our first names (Susi, Esther, Amanda, Suyoung) spelled SEAS, so we decided to make seas, or oceans, our theme.

Each of us had to make three leave-behind postcards. To tie our individual postcards together, we decided to make them all be the same size, 5'x7' and we had identical backs for all the postcards that had a SEAS logo on it. The back of the postcards were all digitally rendered to create a unified look among all the postcards. We also each included our contact information under the logo since these postcards are meant to be leave-behinds.



I couldn't resist making the back of my postcard a little more individual, so I added a little tentacle design to my postcard back.


Unlike the back, the front of the postcards was our chance for each of us to show our individuality. With the front of the postcards, we wanted to create designs that were about materiality and tangibility. Emphasizing texture and three-dimensionality, we wanted the postcards to go beyond traditional flat postcards.



The front of our postcards also emphasizes the handmade nature of our designs. Since the postcards are handmade, tangible, and personal, it would be hard, hopefully, for interviewers to throw the leave-behind away after we give it to them. I decided to make designs even harder to throw away by making them functional. My designs are refrigerator magnets.


My designs are wacky and silly and capture my aesthetic. I made them by gluing Model Magic to paper and then putting collaged shapes on top of the Model Magic. My designs are therefore 3-dimensional. I decided to add a little memorable catchphrase to my leave behinds, "Oddly Original," but I wanted the text to go with the wacky designs, so I wrote the phrase in a few different fonts and sizes. 




After we all finished our postcards, to have a unified way to present them, we packed each postcard in a clear envelope. Then we put the postcards in a box with 4 compartments, one for each person in the group. 



I hope you guys  like what I came up with! All the people in my group were awesome and helpful and I think we were able to work together to come up with a great project. I hope you guys agree!



1 comment:

  1. I loved the solution you guys found to display your postcards! They all look great through that glass window and are easily identifiable as a cohesive set! The effort you put into your cards clearly showed and they turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete