Thursday, January 16, 2014

Cleopatra-- Who Am I

Hi I am Sara. I am a Fine Art major at Roski School of Fine Arts. My emphasis is Intermedia with a greater focus in Digital Video and Photo. I am a very expressive type of worker and an extremely experimental in terms of materials and resources. Although I primarily work with Digital Art I am finding I greatly enjoy the intersection between digital and physical types of artwork.

I just recently worked on a digitized work of one of my drawings and one of my photos. I layered the two imaged to create a figure with the headdress of Cleopatra, the last Egyptian pharaoh. None of this work was intentional or thought out until i began working with images through photoshop. As I began stretching images I started to see a sort of confidence in my figure. A person who was looking directly towards her audience in a way that was feminine, yet strong and powerful. At that point I realized I wanted to make a rule derived from the mind. I wanted to make someone who could be soft, and nurturing, while also projecting a certain strength through my image.

This sort of subconsciously represents my view of gender, in that it does not exist. In my mind, there are biological differences, but letting one difference over power the other is, in my opinion, a complete social construct.



1 comment:

  1. The last one is really sick! The photo takes on a really nice gemstone or marble like quality. I'm curious what the photo was of originally.

    ReplyDelete