Saturday, January 18, 2014

Introductions for the New Semester

I am Dominic Seonghoon Kim and I am a freshman with a Fine Arts major at Roski School of Fine Arts, although I am considering changing my major to either Animation or Interactive Design. I may be somewhat of a quiet introvert, but I make my art and other works express my thoughts and opinions for me. Although I primary work with physical art such as pencil sketches and charcoal portraits, I greatly enjoy working with digital art despite just recently starting using programs such as Flash. I hope that this class of Design Fundamentals will teach me about the concepts of design and help me improve and develop as an artist.

During my first semester I made a self-portrait of myself when I just recovered from a cold. Unfortunately, I still had the cough left over from the illness, hence my somewhat disappointed facial expression in this portrait. I initially started the portrait using a wooden pencil to draw the general shape of my face and my figure before switching to charcoal sticks to add the shadings. I had thought to have myself stare at the viewer of the portrait, but upon drawing that shape I realized that I ended up looking like my father, which I did not like because I wanted myself to be recognized in the portrait instead of my father, so I decided to have the portrait me avert his eyes. I also decided to not color in the background because I was running out of charcoal sticks at that time, and upon taking a look at it I felt that it did not require a background shading.


1 comment:

  1. You have great drawing skills! I really admire the way you use charcoal to detail the highlights and shadows of your shirt; it's usually the hardest part for me. Great work!

    ReplyDelete