Thursday, December 11, 2014

Lawrence Azerrad

Lawrence Azerrad makes me want to enter the graphic design field in a heartbeat. He has been able to work with such huge musicians like the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Wilco, and RAC and foundations like The Clinton Foundation. It would be such an honor to work with those clients and to see your design on the face of those titles. Azerrad's designs are very simple yet eye catching and modern -- traits that I hope to achieve in my own work.
Lawrence spoke about many things that I have never really though about. He talked about how making art about music is more abstract because essentially, he's making art about art, which he describes is like making art about someone else's soul. This was such an interesting outlook. He also stated that album covers are cultural markers, which I agree with 100 percent. Art is a stamp of the time period in which it was made in, and it's fascinating to me how a design can capture so much. Another topic he touched on was how once your artwork is done and brought out into the world, it's no longer yours. It becomes something that everyone can relate to in their own way, and everyone has a different interpretation of a piece of art that used to have one interpretation--the artist's.
This was an eye opening speech to listen to, and I hope to research Azerrad more thoroughly!

No comments:

Post a Comment