Monday, April 12, 2010

6522 Hollywood Blvd







Visited the exhibition mentioned in class over the weekend showing political posters over the decades since the Vietnam era. Most of them made some sort of powerful critical comment on the ethics and morality of war. The most striking ones had especially meaningful text including statistics and/or forceful messages that coupled with illustrations to project a convincing point or captivating perspective. All of them provoked some kind of pathos or ethos appeal. Being half vietnamese, I related to the Vietnam posters depicting civilians the most. The most memorable poster is among those I posted above, it contains a photo of an old woman who looked vietnamese and a rifle held to her head with the words "This woman is vietnamese, southafrican, puertorican, colombian, black, argentinian, my mother, my sister, you, I." Despite all the seriousness of the issues being portrayed on the posters, some were able to maintain a more lighthearted tone while still conveying the importance of the message. This served as an inspirational point for my own poster project and I hope that I will be able to relay an important and serious issue through a similar, less morbid, yet still striking, appeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment