Wednesday, August 31, 2011

First Time I've Ever Enjoyed Researching . . .

While researching Michael Beirut tonight, I realized how essential research is to making a good design. This is SUCH AN INTERESTING ARTICLE outlining the entire process behind his redesigning of the Saks Fifth Avenue packaging, and it's fascinating. Also, the design is amazing.


Just look at this.


Cool? I think so.

(Seriously, read the article though. The word "article" never sounds appealing, but I swear I read it of my own free will and I'm the kind of person who never reads from G.E. textbooks. Ever. Which says something for its level of interesting content.)

So, after this, I'm updating my definition of design to something that requires the designer to be genuinely interested in the subject matter and willing to spend a lot of time learning about it. The designer should base his/her designs off of their research, for inspiration, and also to ensure that their designs are applicable and fit the style required. For example, Beirut made sure that his design was based off of previous designs so as to still retain the historical style of the company since its founding and not to completely recreate the image into something unrecognizable. This is essential.

No comments:

Post a Comment