Thursday, May 3, 2012

Design Exhibition @LACMA

The design exhibition at the LACMA featured a wide array of critically acclaimed objects in design from recent decades. When I first walked into the exhibit, I immediately felt a sense of the past but also a sense of modernness and innovation.  The exhibition displayed many household objects from the sixties and fifties that are considered landmarks of design. I enjoyed looking at these objects because they reflected not only past decades' trends in taste but also the social and political issues of their specific time. There was a blueprint of a bomb shelter home that exhibited good design and Cold War era paranoia.
The second part of the exhibit I went to was the Elleswoth Kelly exhibit. Kelly's work consists of monochromatic panels and shapes of color. A large portion of the paintings were just shapes or panels of color juxtaposed against each other. These works deal with the fundamentals of color and how color is perceived. I felt that some of the paintings made my eyes hurt and helped me realize how the way a color is perceived can be altered by juxtaposing it with other colors. 


No comments:

Post a Comment