Thursday, May 3, 2012

Shelf Life!




Shelf Life 2012 was live! The courtyard by USC's Harris Hall at the Roski School of Fine Arts was set up Farmers Market-style and was packed with artists out in the working world. From animators to print makers to knick-knack makers to photographers, everyone had something to share. I treated myself to a copy of Scot Nobles pocket-sized picture book Laced (top photo). Ink drawings of Nike Dunks and Air Jordans all intertwined by shoe laces are inside this little book, perfect for every 'sneaker head'. Just around the corner in an adjacent courtyard, there were live storytelling sessions, book signings, and a silkscreening demonstration (bottom photo). Many people take artists' work for granted and underestimate the amount of skill and effort that goes into perfecting a masterpiece. I had the chance to practice my own silkscreening skills, and take my word for it when I say it was not easy! I had to get the hang of applying an even coat of ink to the press before my prints came out clean. Being efficient and making the most of your materials is another important part of being a skillful artist. Supplies and tools these days are expensive and if you're expecting to make a profit off of your work, waste is something you cannot do. I was happy to see many of my non-art major friends at Shelf Life because it shows that students around campus are interested in keeping up to date with creative projects---and creativity is crucial and relevant to a wide range of fields! Without creative thinking, we are not able to approach conventional aspects of life with fresh and innovative perspectives, so thank you Roski!

No comments:

Post a Comment