Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Student Exhibit at the Fisher Museum

Yesterday, I was able to stop by the Fisher Museum and Gallery to check out their feature exhibit at the moment: The One and the Many, a showcase of student work. First off, let me say that many of my peers are insanely talented. The works were varied but each was powerful in its own way.



A few pieces stood out as particularly memorable.

Devin Law's series of photographs felt intimately real. They depicted people at occupational centers - people learning or teaching, but stopping for a moment to show their emotions for the camera. It's rather a stark series. There's nothing particularly glorious about the environment, but the success depicted is subtle. That's what makes photographs, I think, so powerful: they need not use dramatic colors or brush strokes to make their points heard.


Speaking of subdued and somewhat faded photographs, vintage-looking scenes with a touch of cross-processing predominated. They are pleasing and a bit nostalgic. I was really struck by the series with concrete and flowers (perhaps there was a deeper theme, but I was pleased with what was on show).



I was lucky to know at least one of the artists on show, Ken Lam. I've seen a bit of his work and it's particularly masterful because of the eccentric messages it offers. You could call it surreal but it's firmly rooted in reality. Just check out the piece he had on display.


It's an intriguing one, and I encourage you to check it out for yourself.

The last piece I will talk about abandoned the canvas altogether, and to great effect. The experimental video featured the cameraperson walking along the side of walls. The setting appeared to be a Middle Eastern country, but that was hardly point. The limited perspective caused me, as a viewer, to reevaluate how I traditionally see the world. There was a steady cadence to the footsteps that kept me engaged.

All in all, I walked away with a newfound appreciation for exactly what my peers bring to the table. I found their talent, in fact, quite unmistakeable.

-Casey Penk

No comments:

Post a Comment