Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Project 2 by Lily

For Project 2, I chose to use artistic inspiration from Shepard Fairey. After looking at his many protraits, I decided that I was most captured by his protraits of certain women.

His protraits then inspired me to do similiar protraits, but with different 'iconic' women in America's pop culture.


Emphasis & Economy


For my Emphasis & Economy piece, I chose to attempt to draw a portrait of Paris Hilton in a sort of style that was more appropriate for an election campaign. In past entertainment news during the presidential election, Paris Hilton was known for her spoofs that were commonly titled "Paris for President". There were various videos and even music videos that showed Hilton as a potential president elect. I decided to play upon this idea in this piece. The rays of light shining in a diagonal direction are supposed to bring your eyes to the face, emphasizing this aspect of the piece. Minimal detail is given to the facial features, hair, and upper body, which allows the viewer to fill in the image for him or herself.

Balance


For Balance, I chose to depict Britney Spears in a symmetrical portrait style. Balance is achieved through a very basic technique of symmetry, though the revealing of one eye only and the hair covering one side of the face was supposed to throw off the more static feel of the picture. The 'WANTED' idea was just a little take on what I think it is like for most Hollywood celebrities of our time. The whole idea of being under a magnifying glass and constantly being pursued by the media and paparazzi seems to be almost like a wanted prisoner who must run away or else be caught and thrown into prison, stuck and constantly examined.

Movement


For Movement, I chose Megan Fox as my inspirational figure. Movement is created through the wiggly shapes swirling around on the bed sheets and from the figure's position on the bed. This composition is suppose to lead the viewer's eyes from the right hand top corner to the bottom left hand corner before everything just falls off the page. The idea of "make love not war" is another idea that I got when I was researching and found out that Megan Fox was named the "Sexiest Woman Alive" by FHM Magazine in 2008. Basically, it was just a lighthearted idea that there shouldn't be any war if there are such mind-bogglingly gorgeous creatures such as Megan Fox prancing around in our world.

Repitition


For Repetition, I used Lindsay Lohan as a starting point and her drug addictions/many random substance abuse issues as an idea. I decided to repeat the words "WILL WORK FOR DRUGS" in the background to create a pattern and to put her figure on the forefront. The wording choice was supposed to replicate that of a homeless person's usual signs that may read "Will Work For Food" etc. The idea of homelessness and Lindsay Lohan was basically inspired by recent pictures I saw of the starlet looking devastatingly thin and unhealthy. So I thought that she sort of resembled a person wasting away, so hence this idea came into being...



No comments:

Post a Comment