Saturday, February 21, 2009

Culver City Galleries





Becca Mann's art really stood out to me as unique and skillful. Oftentimes I don't appreciate more abstract art because it doesn't seem to take as much natural or cultivated ability (I suppose I'm a little old-fashioned that way...)

Becca Mann's graphite drawings are not only incredibly detailed and life-like, but she also makes them unique by using ONLY chiaroscuro to define the various forms--she completely leaves out any outlines or sharp delineation. All that she uses to make the impression of form is the values...

She also uses negative space very cleverly in her Romanov Family Portrait (see top) and a few of her other paintings. She makes it looks like positive space, or a form, rather than the absence of that.

Overall, she shows her awesome skills but still adds something new and original..woohoo!

Emily

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree, Em!

    I love these works by Becca Mann, and would have loved to see them in person. I'm usually a fan of art with lots of color, but these really strike me. I like the way some of the pieces disappear into positive or negative space, allowing the viewer to finish her thoughts for themselves.

    I think her touches of color are beautiful and their subtlety lends the pieces to more drama.

    Thanks for posting these- wish I had been there! -Blair

    ReplyDelete