Sunday, February 22, 2009

Project 2

For this project my inspiration came from Charley Harper. The way he illustrates wildlife and nature intrigued me because he was able to draw his figures to a minimal yet capture the essence of his subjects visually. His choice of color for his subjects are never dull; it is full of life and vibrance. His style of drawing interested me - the way his subjects were animated, yet realistic.








Being inspired by Charley Harper's work, I decided to make my project revolve around a theme - birds.
Here is an example of a black and white movement composition. Even though the bird itself may seem stagnant, the movement I created by the use of multiple raindrops, thus adding variety, creates the sense of movement in this piece.



Here is an example of a black and white repetition composition. I got inspired by Harper's use of repetition with his birds. In order to make this piece more playful, I added more contrast by the use of diagonal lines in the background as well as the birds itself. One group of birds have more of a specific outlining compared to the other group of birds. To add variety, I further playfully added parts of birds in each corner to induce the feeling to the viewer that there are more groups of birds involved in the piece.



Here is an example of a black and white balance composition. In order to capture balance to the viewer, I added trimmings of branches and a small handful of leaves around the bird figure. The sky would be left empty so I added another shape that may either represent the sun or the moon. I did not want a solid figure of a sun or moon because that might make the top left of the piece visually heavy, therefore I added further trimming to make it seem lighter to the composition.



Here is an example of a black and white emphasis and economy composition. In order to capture the essence of this composition, I chose a simple illustration - a bird on a branch. I used delicate lines in contrast with bolder lines to capture the emphasis of the figure thereby acquiring economy as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment