Tuesday, February 24, 2009

For this project I chose Aubrey Beardsley as my source of inspiration. I love his simple use of shapes, yet he still manages to create fine details within his compositions. The first image is emphasizes the design concept: balance. Although the frail tree consumes most of the space, I tried to balance it with the moon. I created fine details inside the moon to balance out the frailty of the branches. I also tried to balance out the large amounts of negative space with a fairly large black positive space, which is assumed to be the ground. Beardsley often made use of borders, so I created thin borders to keep the viewer's eye within the composition. The second image, which emphasizes movement, also uses borders to contain the viewer's eye within the composition. The vines are supposed to create a rapid flow as many are diagnols and vertical. To balance out the negative space
and to create a resting point for the viewer's gaze, I made a fairy-like creature consuming the left portion of the composition. The third composition makes use of the design principle: emphasis and economy. I used large portions of black negative space and balanced it out with a drawing of a bird, which takes up about half of the space. I tried not to create too many fine details, with the exception of a few fine lines in the tail. This is to create a sense of moevement in a rather static composition.

No comments:

Post a Comment