Sunday, February 22, 2009

Project 2 by Jeska

The artist that I chose for this project was Bart Exposito. At first glance his works did not particularly grab my attention but looking at his pieces more closely you begin to see how intricate and complex they are. His art is graphic and very geometric. I think one of the major themes of his work is its understated complexity. Here are some examples:











Most of his work has a lot of movement because the lines are continuous and intricate. I used his technique with lines with wrapping and intertwining them throughout the layers of the image. I didn't realize how difficult and complicated his work was until I tried to copy his images in my sketchbook. It gave me a whole new perspective on how thoroughly his pieces were thought out. His work was also influenced by fonts and letters which I also used in my project.

Movement


This is the most complex of my pieces and in my opinion the most interesting. It was one of my first sketches that I really liked but doing the blow-up version became really confusing to work on because there were so many lines. It was also the first piece that I cut out which is why the craftsmanship is not that great. I also cut out some wrong areas that were supposed to either black or white so I had to make up some of it as I went along. Ultimately, I think this would have been a much better piece if the lines were cleaner and the craftsmanship better.

Repitition



This piece I appreciated more as the drawing then the way it looks after I cut it out of the gouache. I think the scale of the pattern should be smaller and the triangles bigger because they seem awkwardly all the same relative size. Also I think there is too much white in the overall composition but I do like the placement of the strong slanted lines. I also used Shepard Fairey's floral print as the pattern.

Emphasis and Economy



This category was the most difficult one for me and I'm unsure at how successful this piece is in representing emphasis and economy. Nonetheless I really like the way it turned out. I thought about how I could create a letter by using the negative of shapes to imply the lines of a letter. It's simple and flat.

Balance


This one is also simple and flat but I used Exposito's wrapping lines to add an interesting element to the letter. This one is a variation of one of his first pieces I saw (which I've posted above). I like how you can never tell where his lines end or begin because they weave in and out of his layers. However, I don't think this piece is that successful for balance because the bottom circle is larger and heavier so the weight of the picture is pulled downwards. It seems predictable and obvious. Perhaps it would have looked better upside down.

No comments:

Post a Comment