Monday, February 23, 2009

Project 2 by Allen

For Project 2, I chose the artist Ryan McGinness as my inspiration for my four compositions. After going through the list of artists, I was so happy to stumble upon his work. I really like his style and it kind of fits with my own, and so I thought he would be a good direction to go with. I'm a big fan of the iconography he uses as well as the intricacy of his designs. Yet, from afar, they seem so simple and have this pop art thing going on.




(L-R: Balance, Emphasis and Economy, Movement, Repetition)
I love the Balance piece because of the two faces that are creepy/cute, but I also love it because of the white web-like design at the top. It took forever to cut but I was really happy with the end result. Emphasis and Economy was the piece I did last, and you can definitely tell because it is the most simple. I really like the simplisticity, however, and I could definitely see it being on a t-shirt or something. The Movement piece looked better in the thumbnail form, but I still like how it came out. I also really like the "alive" typography, and how it kind of reflects the liveliness of the movement. I have a love/hate relationship with my Repetition composition. Initially, I drew it with only the skull shape, and everything else filled in black. Before I blew it up, however, Sherin thought I should add more to it, and so I added the clouds and the rectangular shapes. The tiny circles, as imperfect as they are, took literally two hours to cut out, so I suppose I have to love it. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment