Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Project #2

The artist that inspired my pieces was Aubrey Beardsley. Beardsley had a precocious talent for illustration - he began to publish his work in his grammar school magazine and then illustrated for J.M. Dent's version of "Morte d'Arthur". Beardsley's artwork can be described as elegant, ornamental, two dimensional, exotic, and sexual. His usage of fine intricate lines and his attention to detail has inspired all four of my pieces. As I started sketching for this project, I couldn't sketch a design particularly for its elemental purpose. Therefore, I based my sketches on the shapes i found in Beardsley's illustration and tried to organize them in a compositionally interesting way. Then i chose the ones that represented each category the best.

REPETITION

I had trouble coming up with a repetition piece without making it blatantly obvious, hence the repeated circles in the background. While cutting out the final shapes, I decided to add the bigger circles on top of the drawn in circles to create a sense of depth and to make the piece asymmetrical. This is my least favorite piece because I could have been more creative with the usage of repetition, rather than having repetition present only in the background of the piece.

MOVEMENT

This piece was inspired by a bow decoration in Beardsley's, Contents Page of The Savoy No. 1. I tried to create movement in this piece by playing with lines and the positioning of weight.

EMPHASIS + ECONOMY

This piece was inspired by a figure present in one of Beardsley's illustrations. I tried to emphasize one corner of the square, however I think it may be more effective if the figures were scaled a bit smaller to make the economy of the piece more apparent.

I forgot to take a picture of my balance piece. I thought my balance piece could have been better if the craftsmanship were impeccable. I tried to create balance by adding more circles to the sides of the piece so it wouldn't seem completely symmetrical. I enjoyed contrast of the fine lines and the bold circles in this piece, but I could have done better by making the piece more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment