Friday, February 20, 2009

Project 2 by Emily G






Emily Greenfield//Project 2

For these compositions, I used the work of Michael Craig-Martin as inspiration. He drew common household objects in unconventional colors and compositions.


Repetition (Lamps):

For this composition, I wanted to do an office lamp, like Luxo (the pixar lamp!!) I wanted to repeat the form but not in a static way. I used overlapping to create a little more space in the composition. Hopefully the viewer can detect the repetition without being bored by it. The cutting on this one took a while...

Movement (the lawn objects):

For this one, I imitated MCM's style of  juxtaposing random objects in different scales. MCM's compositions make the eye move around; I tried to create 3 different focal points that cause the eye to move: the tree, the shovels, and the hose.




Balance (Glove and horse):

For this one, I wanted to balance a composition in a very basic way (a diagonal split between black and white) but also kind of disguise it by adding elements with a lot of variety--like smaller patterns on the glove and also the silhouette of the horse. Again, like MGM I tried to use overlapping to portray a sense of space and scale to make the composition interesting.

Emphasis and Economy (coins):

For this one, I like the idea of falling coins, so I applied E+E to it by leaving lines unfinished. I also used the large amount of negative space on the unbalanced side of the composition to really emphasize the fact that the other side is filled with objects.

No comments:

Post a Comment