Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Alice Konitz

Last night I attended the Alice Konitz lecture on her art work. Her presentation consisted of a simple slide show and her personal connection to or the inspiration for a particular piece. She also shared her creative process and described what she was thinking while creating it.

One of the pieces that she showed us was a table. It was covered in this gold foil that created a reflective quality that appealed to me. It was very geometric, and looked as if it was created with three 3 inch rectangular frames. When I saw this it made me think of the "art vs. design" debacle from the first week of class. I felt that this is representative of the elements that we associate with design. It is art, but it is also a functional table that could be used in everyday life. That confuses me.

Most of the pieces she showed us were sculptures; however, there were some 2-D works that were particularly interesting, as they relate to design. She showed us few images of a window treatment that she did for a show on Hollywood Blvd. The 2-d design also depicts the struggle of "art vs. design." To me, it is design because the window treatment was to function as a eye-popping advertisement like display. At the same time, however, it is created by this woman as a depiction of an idea and/or theme.

There were many things that I liked about her work. Of course, I was attracted most to the more geometric and "design"-like works. I feel that her work is fascinating and original, multi-faceted and obscure.

No comments:

Post a Comment