Monday, October 5, 2009

Assignment 2
Theme inspiration:
When we started this project we were told to choose a theme that we were very interested in. I had originally chosen to work with a theme that compared city life and nature, but I switched it to breakfast food. I was particularly hungry at the time and it seemed like a theme that was specific enough. The artists that I looked at and found inspiration from were Milton Glaser and Shepard Fairey. It was hard to follow them exactly but I tried to use mimic there simple, but bold shapes.

Repetition: Apples and fruit immediately found themselves in my sketches. I thought of repeating textures of fruit, but I liked the concept of change over time. I thought I could show repetition with change. The curved shape and apple stem are constant while the apple body slowly gets eaten. Out of all of my designs I found this one easiest to cut.







Balance: My design for balance represents a pair of eggs, sunny side up. Eggs are not complex pieces of food. Other than the Radom contours of the edges,
eggs traditionally are yoke and white. Mine design to shows to eggs one on top of the other. I chose to eliminate some edges to add some vagueness to the design. In class, some people did not know what the design was, and pointed out that areas of black seem like a landscape.



Emphasis and Economy:
I use a fork or spoon everyday at breakfast. The design I chose for my emphasis and economy was the weakest of my selections. The wanted to depict a fork moving from handle to prongs. I cropped out part of the edges to give the design movement. Classmates confused the handle as a spoon, because of its lack of detail and shape. Over all I could have added more detail in this piece or invert the colors.




Movement:

I wanted to show movement in this deign through perspective. I used Ice cubes and the concept of pouring water to create this design. This design changed the most from my sketchbook to final product. I added depth to the ice cubes and played with highlights. I wanted the movement of the piece to show through, as the cubes got smaller towards the back of the image. The movement turned very linear. If I were to change anything in the piece, I would make the path of the ice cubes more complex. Cutting out this design and gluing it was particularly frustrating. It was hard to get rid of the all the glue, especially in the ice cube highlights.

No comments:

Post a Comment