Monday, October 5, 2009

Assignment 2

Theme/Inspiration:
Recently, I have become more and more interested in nature and the elements of nature. I feel that nature has both the aesthetic appeal and an element of abstraction that attracts me. At first, I had found that the bold images of Milton Glaser and Polly Apfelbaum to be particularly inviting, but I realized that the simplicity of each element within their designs did not cater directly to what I needed to do to for this assignment. I then spent time looking at Paul Morrison. The simplicity of some elements were juxtaposed with more detailed and ornate elements. That juxtaposition was the starting point for my designs. I then found my true inspiration from my grandmother's back yard. The second half of my designs are all inspired by the plants I found back there.


Repetition:
This first work incorporated repetition, not in the literal
sense, but more in the sense that the forms are repeated. The repetition of a flower's stamen and the repetition of the fine lines within the forms are what i took to
understand as repetition. The similarity of the quality of line also added to my understanding of repetition. I also tried to add variation within the piece as not to make this piece a literal interpretation of repetition. To add variation, I made each of the forms slightly different; different in size, shading, direction, height, and shape, while keeping in the idea of repeated forms. I also added variation by creating a sense of movement with the direction of each form. The combination of all these elements adds to the composition.
Similarly, the thin lines made by my micron pen creates an element of dime
nsion that adds to the overall composition.


Balance:
My theme of nature is not as clear in this work because it is a close up of a leaf. I zoomed up on the image and tried to abstract it while also keeping in line with the detailed and realistic aesthetic that I had already created. In this piece, I demonstrate balance by spreading the image across the entire workspace. By placing the image in the center, keeping a simple composition, the viewer can focus in on the balance of the image. Also by placing the image where I did, there is also a sense of movement that is created by the spine up the middle and the branching out of the that line. This movement from all directions creates additional balance. Moreover, the "grey" made by the fine lines is throughout the work, unifying each section.


Emphasis and Economy:
Emphasis and Economy was by far the hardest concept for me to grasp. I like the intricacy of the fine lines and the complexity of some of the larger images. This, however, had to be as minimal as possible while being uniquely ornate and easily distinguishable. In order to satisfy that idea I had to orient the image in such a way that it was both the focal point but was not overwhelming in terms of space taken. This work also reflects the simplicity of the buds on the plant that I was working with. Unlike a blooming flower, the flower buds have a circular form that are minimal, geometric, and yet still intricate and aesthetically pleasing.


Movement:
This last work is less of the literal sense of movement than some of the movement pieces from others. The movement in this piece is less obvious because it also uses repetition, and balance appropriately. I wanted to emphasize the delicacy of the flower and its shape more than anything. But in doing that I was able to create movement by the stamen pointing up into the top right corner. It gives a sense of extension, like they're trying to reach someplace outside of the 8 x 8 square. Additionally the forms within each petal create movement that all come to a stop at the point where the abstracted stem meets the petals. This movement to a particular point also creates a focal point and ads balance to the work

No comments:

Post a Comment