Thursday, October 8, 2009

Project 2



The theme for my project was jewelry and my inspiration was basically any jewelry I saw online that was more decorative or special. The picture to the left was one of my inspirations. In retrospect, I feel that my theme probably was not as emphasized or cohesive as it should have been. My thought was to stay away from simply cutting out pieces of jewelry but go beyond that; I guess I took it too far.

1) Emphasis and Economy (top left)
This was a double strand pearl bracelet with some ornate jewels acting as maybe a clasp. My goal was to draw peoples' eyes to the flowers . I did this by drawing the pearls to the flowers and by making the extending pieces somewhat curl into the flowers. I think the fact that there was so much black also made the flowers more noticeable. I has a little trouble cutting all the little pieces out so it doesn't look as clean as I want it to but it looks better when you see it from far away.

2) Balance (top right)
So, I think I may have misunderstood what "balance" meant. I thought it meant to make the piece so that one looks at the picture as a whole, not having any particular focal point, which is why I made the crown so big. The crown is actually the Rolex sign and it was inspired by Bart Exposito's work. I tried to make it more balanced by having a lot of interesting things going on so that you don't really focus on one point; you have to look around to see everything.

3) Repetition (bottom left)
These are bead bracelets that I had made by women in Uganda. They actually do come in multiple strands, which I though would be nice for the piece. Obviously, I repeated the beads over to show more repetition, but I tried to make it more interesting by alternating the black color blocks. I don't think it looks as polished because I think maybe some strands are a little crooked. Maybe some more variation with placement would have been better.

4) Movement (bottom right)
This was inspired by a necklace I saw. The circle is supposed to be the pendant. I tried to layer the piece more by having the flower grow out of it and have leaves go over it. I tried to get more movement by making the stems curve and look as if they are growing out of the picture. I suppose the idea of jewelry does not come across though, which was probably a weak point in this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment