Sunday, April 25, 2010

New York MOMA and the Metropolitan












It has been awhile since break, but I finally figured out how to get some pictures off my camera and onto my computer, and thought I would share some on here. I visited the New York MOMA and the Metropolitan Museums while I was in NY. The most exciting part was being able to see all the famous paintings that are so familiar in posters and in pictures but have a whole new quality when seen up close in person.

Both of these museums are huge, and unfortunately I tried to conquer both in the same day. This was ambitious --although almost everything on display is something amazing, it is simply impossible to see everything. As a result, I am pretty sure I missed a couple of the best exhibits, but I did manage to see the majority of the museums. There was a huge range of artists and styles from traditional, representational paintings to modern, more quirky displays. One artist being featured was Gabriel Orozco, who had his own dynamic range of artwork. I was a bit surprised then to see that this world-famous artist's first display was nothing but a plain white shoebox. The second? Four plastic yogurt lids, each with its own wall.

There were several miscellaneous pieces that I especially enjoyed and snapped pictures of. One artist had several "newspaper" paintings up. At first glance, they appear to be simple newspaper clippings cut out and decorated with a few lines of paint. Upon closer examination, however, you can just barely tell that the artist hand painted the words of the entire article and pictures himself. Lastly, there were a few brightly colored collages and mixed media works of art that stood out to me in particular and have posted here.

Overall, visiting these two museums in new york city made for one of the best museum-going experiences I have ever had, and I look forward to coming back to NY some day to get a second, more thorough look at both the MOMA and the Met.

No comments:

Post a Comment