Thursday, December 10, 2009

2014 Winter Olympics logo


In 2014, the Winter Olympics will be held in Sochi, Russia. Out of several bids, this was chosen as the official logo. As most Olympic logos do, this logo reflects the clean and internationally relatable style of ITS. The font is also one that I feel reflects Russia; it is bold and firm yet quiet, which is more or less what I think of when I think of Russia. I like how the logo is so simple yet fitting for the country. According to an explanation of the logo, the incorporation of the url is meant to be an emblem for the digital generation and also reflects how the Olympics will be seen, through PDAs and laptops. I like the fact that the logo comments on how our society functions now. I think the url is interesting however I think the way it is placed is a little confusing. I don't know if the url is sochi.ru or sochi2014.ru (it's sochi2014.ru) I think that if they maybe switched the placement of the .ru and the rings, the message would be more clear. The placement of sochi 2014 is meant to reflect where the Olympics are taking place. It is meant to be the meeting point between the Black Sea and the mountains. I think that the reflection is nice, though at first i was so focused on the reflection that I had trouble making out that it was a 14. I think maybe if the 4 is a slightly different from the h it would be more clear. Overall, I think this is good logo for the country and for the Olympics, as it shows unity and also individuality.

No comments:

Post a Comment