Monday, August 30, 2010

Ohhay World

I couldn't tell you when I started to consider myself an artist. I think it began with a primary school obsession with dinosaurs -- necessarily documented with paper and crayons -- which slowly evolved into a love affair with dragons and fire, pens and inks and paints.

Intertwined, ballpoint pen over monoprint, 2007

In highschool I took up art as my sixth subject for my IB diploma, and worked on developing a portfolio for the scrutiny of graders that would see my work on a CD in Wales.

Romulus Augustus, acrylic paint and stamp ink, 2009

But when I applied to colleges, practical goals and practical fears steered me in the direction of a business degree. However, as I sat down to accounting homework, or tedious finance, I thought about what I was missing by not pursuing what I love. So I resolved to work toward a BFA as well, even if I have to spend a fifth year at USC.

A Watch, charcoal, 2010

I'm inspired by the whimsical, the mythological, and, if I may be frank, plain ol' cool-lookin' stuff. My favorite artists are those whose works are thoughtful as well as beautiful, and who use texture and juxtaposition in strategic and awesome ways.


From left to right:

Minjae Lee
Natalia
2008;
Acrylic, conte, and colored pencil


Mehmet Turgut
Milk
2007;
Photography


Sigmar Polke
Treehouse (Baumhaus)
1976;
Watercolor, print

I look forward to this upcoming year, my sophomore year, and I hop to learn and create and drench myself in paint to make up for one idle summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment