Thursday, August 26, 2010

Let Me Introduce Myself

Hi all, I'm Cygne. I'm currently an undecided freshman, but I'm definitely thinking of majoring in Fine Arts. Actually... I'm like 99.9% positive it'll be my major. Thus, the reason for my being in this Design class.

For all of you who I haven't met, I grew up in Omaha, Nebraska in one of the smallest schools in the state (my graduating class was 29). Every activity at school was accessible and I tried everything I possibly could. I happened to find my niche in journalism as the Design Editor of my yearbook, in Portfolio art classes, and on the speech team as a state competitor. The more I thought about what I really wanted to do in life, I kept coming back to some form of art. So, I've finally made up most of my mind on what I'll be studying and hopefully working in for the future.



Today in class, I brought two PostSecret books as my "artistic item" and I wanted to share the site with you all. You can find it here. Basically, it's a compilation of postcards sent by people from all over the world sharing their funniest, deepest, or most scary secrets. Each person designs their own postcard and sends it to Copperville, MD without a return address. What I love about this, other than reading people's secrets, is observing how people put their ideas and their feelings on a 5"x7" card. Although it confines the artist to such a small space, the emotion and feeling you get from some of the postcards is incredibly powerful.



So, there it is. I hope you all enjoy a little piece of my inspiration (and, yes, I have sent a few in).

No comments:

Post a Comment