Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Fieldtrip


Fieldtrip
1. The theme was
Action/Reaction. I thought it was relevant because not only did all the pieces relate to the theme but they also related to each other through the idea of sustainability.
2. The theme was expressed through all the objects on display, though some are literal and some are figurative. Tanya Aguiniga did this by creating necklaces and fashion out of ropes and interesting materials. She did this as a reaction to the "coldness" of current product/industrial design.
3. The design that captured the theme most closely was the designed silks inspired by Corita Kent and created
by Juliette Belocq. This captured the theme because not on
ly did Corita follow the action/reaction theme by forming these ideas and her book, but Juliette Belocq also followed action/reaction by using the inspiration to create the silk pieces with messages that cause a reaction from viewers.
4. The product I found the most interesting was the Pirate Supply
Shop Goods by Rob Alexander, Will Ecke, Gaelyn Mangrum, and Jeff Bucholtz. I found the products funny and clever. The product relates to action/reaction in a different way. The reaction is
the viewer's surprise when looking closer at the products and seeing the humorous aspect of
the product.
5. The product that I found least compelling was the electronic device
which kept track of how much you ate, slept, exercised, calories burned, etc. I did not find it compelling because I did not understand the benefits of its purpose and function. I felt there was no reaction, that it was just something that did something cool but for no general purpose.
6. I really enjoyed the exhibition. I especially appreciated the connection to sustainability and reuse. I liked how all the products were able to connect to the action/reaction theme in their unique way and interpretation while still being so different from other products with the same theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment