Thursday, October 21, 2010

PCMA 2010.10.16

1. The theme of the biennial was consciousness of the world's fast-approaching limits and a call to designers to creatively address the issue. It's relevant because it's no longer about what's Green and what isn't. It's about what the philosophy of the designer is, and what pushes our understanding of their topic into society's mainstream.

2. Even if most all of the objects were design first, philosophy next, the theme of the collection ran strongly, even through the clever OKGO music video.

3. If we're talking not just environmental consciousness but Global Consciousness, I would have to credit Willem Henri Lucas, with his books and poster project "The Culture and Globalization Series 1". It was a well of information filtered and designed for easy translation. I saw it as a guide to interpreting the world facts we never see. Fascinating and necessary and enlightening.

4. It is not a coincidence that the most interesting thing I found was the design piece mentioned above. It was arresting. I literally started to walk away from the posters, thinking I had read them all, when a new angle in it popped out and I had to get a closer look. (This happened, really, like 3 times)

5. I found them hilarious and wonderful, but I don't think the designs of the Pirate and Victorian-Age problem solvers by Dave Eggers' group did the best job fitting the theme. Were they well designed? OhMyGoshYes. I loved them and wanted to steal each and every one. But I felt that they were a little out of place when the philosophy's communication came through.

6. The field trip was enlightening and impactful, especially because there was something for every young designer there to attach to. They did a fine job of covering all of the bases with design carefully considered enough to display. Also, the poster design for the exhibit was amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment