Monday, October 18, 2010

fieldtrip

1. The theme of the Biennial is Action/Reaction. I did not find the theme particularly relevant because I think that it was too broad of a statement. Many would argue that art itself is always a reaction to SOMEthing.

2. Although I personally did not find the theme relevant, I would agree that most of the objects correlated strongly to the theme, and it was clear that they were chosen for that reason. For example, I think that the Google Maps screenshot of their new "directions for bicyclists" feature is a very clear example of how the Google design has changed as a reaction to the behavioral trends of motorists and cyclists.

3. I think that the fuzzy chair covers by Tanya Aquiniga captured the theme mostly closely, and they were by far my favorite design item. I definitely related to her reference of the cold, uniformity of metal chairs. I really appreciate the fact that she is taking something that stands for the ideas of mass production and group uniformity, and turning it into a warm, comforting item with a motherly-love quality.

4. I was very interested in the handmade shoes by George Esquivel. This is probably just because I am obsessed with Janelle Monae's fashion, and he made her shoes.

5. I found the "Kor One" water bottles to be the least compelling item. The pretentious nature of the "hydration vessel" name really turned me off, as well as the fact that they put "inspirational messages" on the bottle caps. I found them to not be innovative or reactionary at all. This seemed like merely a corportate marketing scheme, and a cliche one at that.

6. Overall, I found some of the pieces to be very interesting, innovative, and aesthetically pleasing. A few (such as the water bottles) were off-putting, but the exhibit was cohesive and I particularly enjoyed the fashion pieces, both for their cultural significance as well as their aesthetic design.


No comments:

Post a Comment