Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Hello!

Hello everyone! I'm Sydney. The close ones call me Syd, or variations of that: Syd Squid or Sydles. Your call! I am from Aspen, Colorado, born and raised. Yes, I've grown up skiing and I hope that I can be considered a good skier (since that is usually the first question I am asked). I am a sophomore and anxious to decide on a major. I do plan to minor in communication design and french. 
I love Los Angeles and knew that I wanted to go to school in a big city when I was applying to college. There is still a lot of exploring that I want to do but so far a few of my favorite areas are, Culver city, Larchmont street, and Abbott Kinney. 
I also love design. I love figuring out what draws me to look at an object or product for a second longer, or how I could better design what it is that I am looking at. This includes interesting architecture such as, Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater, or any type of advertisements. Art in general, really. My mom graduated college as a graphic design major and my dad is an architect, so hopefully I have some artistic gene. 
Over this long weekend, I was walking in Beverly Hills after dinner with some friends from school. We passed one of my favorite stores, Maxfield Bleu, and in the window were two "clothes horses" that caught my eye. I was drawn to the large scale of these two horse sculptures in the windows, as well as the layers and textures of the white cloth that covered these animals. I also loved the play on words since "clothes horse" is a drying frame for washed clothes to dry on. I thought I'd share this with you since I was so intrigued by them. Enjoy!



1 comment:

  1. Sydney! This horse reminds me of the horse sculpture I saw in the Malibu Country Mart. It was a sculpture by Mr. Brainwash in his pop-up gallery there. You should check it out! I tried to find a picture of the one I saw, but here is another version he made (I found it on Google images). http://thesuiteworld.com/blog/mr-brainwash-street-art-show-los-angeles-graffiti-la-brea/attachment/mr-brainwash-street-art-show-los-angeles-horse-kate-moss/

    ReplyDelete