Monday, January 20, 2014

Introduction: Ella Charon

Hello to all!

I'm Ella.  I am a Freshman Spring admit, so I am among the newest of the students at USC.  I am from Baltimore, Maryland and extremely excited to be living on the west coast after experiencing many years of brutal winters.  I am a Fine Arts major in Roski and my area of interest is photography.  Being in a design class is a completely new experience for me, but after just two classes, I feel eager for the rest of the semester and all this class has to offer to help me improve my design skills.

For this first blog post, I would like to share an art initiative that was born in my hometown.  I came across the Baltimore Love Project my senior year of high school when its founder, Scott Burkholder, came to speak at my school on Valentine's Day.  The end of my senior year, I interned with the Project for two weeks.  During this time, I learned so much about the flourishing art community in Baltimore and witnessed how powerful art can be to people.

The Project aims to connect people from different parts of the city through public murals, all of the same design, hands spelling out the word LOVE.  They are truly beautiful to me, and during my internship, I painted an actual mural with Michael Owen, co-founder and designer for the Project!

Check out the website to learn more: baltimoreloveproject.com 
Check out Michael Owen's other artwork: michaelowenart.com

Here are some pictures of the mural I helped to paint

Here are some other beautiful murals that Michael has painted in Baltimore that inspire me every time I drive or walk past them


2 comments:

  1. I took a look at the loveproject website, and have to say that is an awesome concept. It's always great to see the same images pop up around the city especially one so positive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Ella! This initiative sounds like an awesome opportunity that you took part in! I will be sure to check out Michael Owen's other work too, because this project alone is so inspiring and positive!!

    ReplyDelete