Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Hi! I'm Sophia and here's a little about me!

My name is Sophia and I'm an International Relations major here at USC! I plan on minoring in French, and I am also hoping to declare a minor in Communication Design! I'm from a small town outside of Boston, Massachusetts and I came out to USC so that I could experience a different part of the country. I was drawn not only to USC for the unique programs offered here, but also to Los Angeles and being in a city that is home to so many different cultures and people. I love studying languages and am currently taking Spanish and French here at USC. I'm really interested in the way people interact and communicate through different means, and I am excited to learn more about how art can facilitate conversation between people and across cultures.

I grew up loving to make art, but aside from a drawing and painting class in high school, I have not had much formal teaching in art. One of my favorite artists is my father. His is not an artist by profession but he has always set aside time to paint and he taught my sister and me how to draw when we were younger. The picture below is of a painting he gave me for Christmas this year as a way to remember our family vacation to Santorini, Greece.


I really enjoy drawing, but have grown to love painting in recent years. Below are two of my paintings, both of which were done with watercolor.


This one was a gift that I made for my friend Nicole when she graduated college. She loves traveling and has lived in several different countries around the world, so I figured a map would be appropriate. Additionally, she always wears really bright colors so I decided that it would be fun to incorporate bright colors into the painting.


This painting depicts a vineyard in the village of Borja which is located in the Aragon region of Spain. The vineyard is 100 years old and the painting was inspired by a photograph a good friend of mine sent me while he was working at the vineyard in Spain this past summer.

I look forward to learning more about design in this class and can't wait to work with all of you!

1 comment:

  1. Sophia - that is very cool that your inspiration comes from your dad and you both are very talented! I also didn't know that you are studying spanish as well as french (since we are both in french together). I am hoping that I will eventually become bilingual - but three languages! (unless you speak more) - that's awesome! I like the content of your paintings and the meanings behind them. Definitely pursue painting if you're able to!

    ReplyDelete