Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Adrian, the Software Engineer

Hello,

My name is Adrian Cheng and I'm an exchange student from Singapore who's here for a semester. I'm by nature a very technical person at heart, and have little to no design experience. My passion lies deep in the computer sciences and software engineering, where I've built many websites and mobile software (particularly iPhone applications). During summer, I've built an iPhone app called Tiny Post (currently free on the app store) with a startup of 4 exceptional people. I am 1 of 2 engineers in this team to build this application from scratch. The app allows people to take pictures, and apply graphic filters and expressional captions to personalize and beautify images. It circulates these images in a social network, and is currently doing very well. The app now has about 70 000 users from all over the world.

I really want to learn from this course because I've faced many issues as a Software Engineer where aesthetic and functional design makes me feel really clueless in understanding what is good to the eyes. Hopefully, I will be able to better understand what people like to see and appreciate when it comes to the design of a particular product through this course. :)

Here is a short pictorial description of what Tiny Post does:




It's also been featured on CNET recently here (although it's still the old version on the app store): http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57476075-285/add-text-to-your-iphone-photos-with-tiny-post/

If you have an iPhone, do give it a go! :) It's really awesome!
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tiny-post/id477765577?mt=8

If you don't have an iPhone, no worries! you can still check out the website. It has lots of beautiful images created by users from all over the world: http://tinypost.co

Do leave me comments if you have opinions, hate it, or like it! I really want to know how people who are interested in design think about this app.

No comments:

Post a Comment